Man or Astro-Man? was a late 90s surf rock band from down in Alabama who would put out more 7″ records in a year than your average punk band would have in its discography. Prolific doesn’t even really begin to describe it and when I was looking for the perfect record to share for the 7th installment of my 7″ on the 7th series, this was the clear winner. I started listening to Man or Astro-Man? when I worked at Acme Comics back in Peoria IL about 11 or so years ago. My coworker Skip had most of the CDs and we’d chuck ’em in the stereo and play them over the store speakers. This was also at the height of coolness (for me at least) working there. We had Skip, Randy and Farmer Ted on staff, Chadwick was still stopping in when he could and Bob & Dani were still baby free. This group resulted in possibly the best company Christmas dinner I’ve ever attended. Oh, but back to the band, yeah, Man or Astro-Man? just always seemed to be around, what with Skip playing them and my friends Atomik, Robot Allison and Lins all being huge fans. This may or may not’ve contributed to me not getting super into them, as I could go most anywhere with some buddys and a copy of “Project Infinity” was sure to either be playing or on hand to be played. In fact for years the only CD of theirs I had was “Is It…”! This all changed last November. Feeling nostalgic I took my copy of “Is It…” with me to play in the car while Christmas shopping in Burbank and it just cracked my head right open. I loved it even more than I did back in the day! Absence makes the heart grow fonder or what ever, I don’t know, but I was digging them on a level that I previously hadn’t. So I did what any sensible person would do, check local record shops and online to fill out my collection with some more Man or Astro-Man action. Here’s their first release. Some of these songs were rerecorded for future albums, some were collected onto CD and some songs are only on this very record. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did, and it helps you recall days past.
- Weathering #WildStorm covers the emotional end of the "Fire from Heaven" crossover with #Deathblow v1 #29 by Choi,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- RT @heytherejeffro: This is the kinda bullshit you pull when you're trying to set up a Stone Cold Stunner on Raw in 1999. https://t.co/cxOw… 7 hours ago
- WTF Comics industry? Really!? Get yr stuff together @DarkHorseComics! @RaeBeta, keep being rad! portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2018/… #Comics 8 hours ago
- I have an acquaintance on facebook who's always defending Trump, his worst policies and kinda racist stuff. Then sh… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- Just found out a female donkey is called a "jenny ass" & I can't stop giggling about it. 1 day ago